Skip to main content

We Gather Together

Today's scrapbook layout was based on Day 4 of @christys_beautiful_life 30 Days of Sketches.  I love a layout based on a geometric design so I decided to give this sketch by @allisondavis4sg a try.
I did not have a hexagonal die set so I took a hexagon die out of a Sizzix Impresslits embossing folder.  I grabbed a very old fall-themed paper pad and die-cut multiple hexagons from each of the patterned papers within the pad.  The original sketch had two smaller photos in the center of the page, but I decided to use just one photo of my family taken on Thanksgiving day.  I arranged the hexagons around the outside edges of the paper.


To decorate some of the insides of the hexagons and to create a few embellishment clusters, I die-cut leaves, acorns, and some foliage from the more solid patterned papers in the collection.  


I die cut the word "family" and placed it underneath the photo.  I used two tags from the paper pad and distressed the edges of them using a distresser tool.  I inked the edges of the tags with brown ink.  I adhered a small typed sentiment sticker inside the narrow tag and placed it underneath the word "family".  I die-cut a smaller hexagon and stamped the date using a roller date stamp.  I layered this smaller hexagon on top of a larger hexagon just underneath the title.


To finish off the layout, I used a white gel pen to make stitch lines along the outer edges of some of the hexagons


I love how the hexagons in this layout help draw the eye towards the central photo.  This sketch is a great way to use up scraps of paper and requires a minimal amount of supplies. 

We Gather Together
Supplies:
  • Recollections White Cardstock
  • Sizzix Impresslits - Sweet Friend
  • Deja Views Home for the Harvest 8X8 Paper & Pieces Tablet
  • Tim Holtz Thinlits - Funky Foliage
  • Tim Holtz Thinlits - Alphanumeric Shadow Upper
  • Tim Holtz Paper Distresser
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Vintage Photo
  • Date Roller Stamp
  • Versafine Onyx Black Ink
  • White Gel Pen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in the Inky Darkness

Today's card features a few of the new Tim Holtz Sizzix and Ranger Halloween products.  I could not wait to use the Tim Holtz Skulls 3-D Texture Fades embossing folder and combine it with Distress inks and spray stains. I started by inking the flat side of the embossing folder with Black Soot Distress Archival Ink.  I sprayed a panel of water color paper with water and carefully placed this paper into the embossing folder. I ran the embossing folder through my Sizzix Big Shot 3 times. I took the embossed panel out of the embossing folder and cleaned the embossing folder with StazOn All-Purpose Stamp Cleaner. Next, I sprayed the panel with Tim Holtz Decayed Distress Mica Stain.  This gave it a green tinge with a hint of sparkle.  I decided to seal the card panel by dipping a foam blending pad into Distress Micro Glaze and dabbing this onto the card panel.  I glued a black cardstock matte behind the embossed panel and adhered it to a white card base. For the sentiment, I used the &qu

Tim Holtz Spencer Halloween Card

I can't get enough of Tim Holtz's Colorize Spencer die set.  The detail and dimension of this image is absolutely amazing.  Today's card features Spencer, 3-D embossing folders, and a few other Tim Holtz Halloween dies sets. The main card panel was made by embossing a piece of silver foil cardstock using the Sizzix 3-D Textured Impressions Pinwheel embossing folder.  I watered down a few drops of black acrylic paint and used a paint brush to brush the paint onto the embossed panel.  I let the paint dry for about a minute and then took a paper towel to rub off the excess paint.  I adhered this panel to a black card base. The smaller card panel was made by embossing a piece of black cardstock with the Tim Holtz Sizzix 3-D Texture Fades Mini Cobblestone embossing folder.  I added a few drops of Sterling Distress Foundry Wax to a craft mat and used my finger to apply the Foundry Wax to the embossed panel.  I added a black matte behind this embossed panel and adhered it at an an

Daisy Delight

Today's card features the Spellbinders Daisy Delight Garden Shutters A2 Card Base die set and the Spellbinders Sketched Floral Embossing Folder of the Month for February 2022.  I do not own any daisy dies so I couldn't wait to create using this die set. I started by cutting two A2 sized card panels out of Kraft cardstock.  I used the included die to cut out the center out of one of these panels.  I then embossed this panel with the Spellbinders Sketched Floral embossing folder.  I cut a third A2 sized panel from bright green cardstock and used the kinetic die to cut out two shutters from this panel following the directions on the Spellbinders website .  I assembled the card following the directions from the Spellbinders website. To decorate the front of the card, I cut two window panels from yellow cardstock and two lattice panels from white cardstock.  I glued the white lattice panels to the yellow window panels and adhered these to the front of the card.  I die cut the daisy