Skip to main content

Wishing You Brighter Days

Today's card is another unicorn card featuring the Waffle Flower Be a Unicorn die.  I absolutely love the large unicorn die.  It has such a sweet face and it is cut so that the unicorn is able to hold something in its hooves.  I used silver cardstock for the unicorn's horn and wings and pink cardstock for the cheeks and ears.  I glued a thin strip of black cardstock behind the eyes and nostrils.  The edges of the unicorn were inked with Black Soot Distress Ink.  I had a few scraps of pastel-colored cardstock from my previous unicorn card so for some of the unicorns, I used the different colors of cardstock for the unicorn's mane.  

For the featured card, I used a card panel cut from a diagonal rainbow striped paper from a paper pad I picked up from Michaels last year called Stay Magical.  I had several clouds that already had sentiments embossed in black leftover from my previous unicorn card, so I decided to use them up on these cards as well.  The edges of the clouds were also inked with Black Soot Distress Ink.  For the card panels of the other cards, I experimented with different cloud stencils and inked some clouds onto Bristol Smooth cardstock using Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide Ink.

I wanted the unicorn to be holding a rainbow in its hooves.  I was able to fussy cut a couple of different rainbows from pieces of paper in the Stay Magical paper pad as well as the Shimelle Glitter Girl Project Pad.  The rainbow was placed between the hooves and I used a small piece of foam tape behind the top of the rainbow to keep it in place and give it a bit of dimension.

To assemble the card, I mounted the cloud card panel to a black card base.  I glued the cloud near the top of the panel and adhered the unicorn using foam tape.  To embellish the card, I used the hearts from the Jane Davenport You Are Unique Die Set.  I also tucked one of the solid hearts into the unicorn's hooves near the base of the rainbow.  The last step was to give the card a little sparkle and shine.  I used a Wink of Stella clear glitter brush marker to add sparkle to the unicorn's mane and cheeks and to some of the hearts.  I added Nuvo Crystal Glaze to the unicorn's eyes and to the solid hearts.  Once the glaze dried, I used a white gel pen to add some highlights to the unicorn's eyes.

This card is so adorable and I am so glad I made extras because I just might have to keep one for myself!

Wishing You Brighter Days
Supplies:
  • Waffle Flower Be A Unicorn Die
  • Cardstock- silver, white, and black
  • Hampton Art KI 6x6 Pastel Cardstock Paper Pad
  • Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Black Soot
  • Cricut - Rainbow and Cloud (#MA78E9BB)
  • Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
  • Hello Bluebird Rainbow Script Stamp Set
  • VersaMark Ink
  • Recollections Embossing Powder - Ebony
  • Strathmore Bristol Smooth Cardstock
  • Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Ink - Tumbled Glass
  • My Favorite Things Cloud Stencil
  • Craft Smith Stay Magical Paper Pad

  • Shimelle Glitter Girl Project Pad

  • Jane Davenport You Are Unique Die Set

  • Nuvo Crystal Glaze

  • Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Tip Marker
  • White Gel Pen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in the Inky Darkness

Today's card features a few of the new Tim Holtz Sizzix and Ranger Halloween products.  I could not wait to use the Tim Holtz Skulls 3-D Texture Fades embossing folder and combine it with Distress inks and spray stains. I started by inking the flat side of the embossing folder with Black Soot Distress Archival Ink.  I sprayed a panel of water color paper with water and carefully placed this paper into the embossing folder. I ran the embossing folder through my Sizzix Big Shot 3 times. I took the embossed panel out of the embossing folder and cleaned the embossing folder with StazOn All-Purpose Stamp Cleaner. Next, I sprayed the panel with Tim Holtz Decayed Distress Mica Stain.  This gave it a green tinge with a hint of sparkle.  I decided to seal the card panel by dipping a foam blending pad into Distress Micro Glaze and dabbing this onto the card panel.  I glued a black cardstock matte behind the embossed panel and adhered it to a white card base. For the sentiment, I used the &qu

Tim Holtz Spencer Halloween Card

I can't get enough of Tim Holtz's Colorize Spencer die set.  The detail and dimension of this image is absolutely amazing.  Today's card features Spencer, 3-D embossing folders, and a few other Tim Holtz Halloween dies sets. The main card panel was made by embossing a piece of silver foil cardstock using the Sizzix 3-D Textured Impressions Pinwheel embossing folder.  I watered down a few drops of black acrylic paint and used a paint brush to brush the paint onto the embossed panel.  I let the paint dry for about a minute and then took a paper towel to rub off the excess paint.  I adhered this panel to a black card base. The smaller card panel was made by embossing a piece of black cardstock with the Tim Holtz Sizzix 3-D Texture Fades Mini Cobblestone embossing folder.  I added a few drops of Sterling Distress Foundry Wax to a craft mat and used my finger to apply the Foundry Wax to the embossed panel.  I added a black matte behind this embossed panel and adhered it at an an

First Day of School

Today's layout was inspired by @christys_beautiful_life 30 Days of Sketches Round 8, Day 3.  I decided to focus the layout on a photo of this year's first day of school. The layout has several sketched circles.  I decided to break out the sewing machine and sew a few black circles using a variety of stitches.   The Scraptember challenge combined with this sketch was layering. So I grabbed the Simple Stories Smarty Pants collection and layered up a bunch of the branding strips and the patterned papers found on the journaling cards. I used the letter stickers from the collection to create the title.  I also used some of the stickers to embellish the title and photo, and also to create an embellishment cluster in the upper right corner of the layout.  To finish off the layout, I splattered it with black ink. I love the 30 Days of Sketches because it is a great way to use up older collections and challenges me to utilize techniques that I don't often use in my layouts. First Da