Skip to main content

Today Is The Day

Today’s page was inspired by the Simple Stories "I am" stencil and several of Vicki Boutin's products.
I wanted to create a mixed media background for the photos of my daughter getting her helix pierced. I started by using a piece of paper from the Vicki Boutin All the Good Things Mixed Media Pad and put some white gesso on the corner of the paper. I sprayed the stencil with Pixie Spray and placed it down on the white gesso. I used a paint palette knife to smear some Martha Stuart gold glitter paste onto the stencil.  I let the glitter paste dry.  At this point, I  really struggled with the photo arrangement on the page. After several tries, I gave up trying to make the background fit with the photos and I ended up just cutting a strip of the glitter paste words to use on the page.


I mounted a strip of three photos on a piece of red dotted paper from the mixed media paper pad and then adhered that to the left side of a 5x12 piece of colorful bubble paper. I used two strips of the Vicki Boutin butterfly metallic washi tape to adhere the bubble paper to a 12x12 piece of the red dotted paper.  I backed the main photo to a piece of black-and-white script paper and tore the edges around it.  I placed this photo in the upper left corner of the red dotted paper.  I tore the upper right corner out of the red dotted paper and cut out a square of the black and white script paper to fit behind the area that I tore out. This is where I decided to place the close-up photo of my daughter's piercing.


With all the photos in place, it was now time to add the embellishments.  I stamped some foliage from the Vicki Boutin Kaleidoscope Stamp and Die set onto black cardstock and embossed it with gold sparkle embossing powder. I also cut several butterflies and flower arrangements from two of the papers from the mixed media pad.  I used an embossing pen to heat emboss the outline of the leaves and parts of the butterflies with the same gold sparkle embossing powder. I used gold matte hearts and some stickers and chipboard pieces from a variety of different Thickers sets and sticker books. I folded up the edges of the butterflies to add some dimension to the page and finished off with the journaling.


I love how the layout came together with both the gold sparkle embossing powder and the matte gold embellishments. The combination of the bright papers helps to display my daughter's unique and genuine personality.

Today Is The Day
Supplies:
  • Vicki Boutin All the Good Things Mixed Media Paper Pad
  • White Gesso
  • iCraft Pixie Spray Stencil Adhesive
  • Simple Stories "I Am" Stencil
  • Martha Stuart Gold Glitter Paste
  • Palette Knife
  • Recollections Black Cardstock
  • VersaMark Embossing Ink
  • American Crafts Embossing Pen
  • All Night Media Gold Holographic Embossing Powder
  • Vicki Boutin Metallic Washi Tape
  • Vicki Boutin Color Kaleidoscope Stamp & Die Set So Fun
  • Thickers Honey Puffy Stickers
  • Thickers Wildflower Gold Holographic Chipboard Stickers
  • Maggie Homes Flourish Cardstock Mini Stickers
  • Vicki Boutin #Sticker Book with Gold Foil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in the Inky Darkness

Today's card features a few of the new Tim Holtz Sizzix and Ranger Halloween products.  I could not wait to use the Tim Holtz Skulls 3-D Texture Fades embossing folder and combine it with Distress inks and spray stains. I started by inking the flat side of the embossing folder with Black Soot Distress Archival Ink.  I sprayed a panel of water color paper with water and carefully placed this paper into the embossing folder. I ran the embossing folder through my Sizzix Big Shot 3 times. I took the embossed panel out of the embossing folder and cleaned the embossing folder with StazOn All-Purpose Stamp Cleaner. Next, I sprayed the panel with Tim Holtz Decayed Distress Mica Stain.  This gave it a green tinge with a hint of sparkle.  I decided to seal the card panel by dipping a foam blending pad into Distress Micro Glaze and dabbing this onto the card panel.  I glued a black cardstock matte behind the embossed panel and adhered it to a white card base. For the sentiment, I used the &qu

Tim Holtz Spencer Halloween Card

I can't get enough of Tim Holtz's Colorize Spencer die set.  The detail and dimension of this image is absolutely amazing.  Today's card features Spencer, 3-D embossing folders, and a few other Tim Holtz Halloween dies sets. The main card panel was made by embossing a piece of silver foil cardstock using the Sizzix 3-D Textured Impressions Pinwheel embossing folder.  I watered down a few drops of black acrylic paint and used a paint brush to brush the paint onto the embossed panel.  I let the paint dry for about a minute and then took a paper towel to rub off the excess paint.  I adhered this panel to a black card base. The smaller card panel was made by embossing a piece of black cardstock with the Tim Holtz Sizzix 3-D Texture Fades Mini Cobblestone embossing folder.  I added a few drops of Sterling Distress Foundry Wax to a craft mat and used my finger to apply the Foundry Wax to the embossed panel.  I added a black matte behind this embossed panel and adhered it at an an

First Day of School

Today's layout was inspired by @christys_beautiful_life 30 Days of Sketches Round 8, Day 3.  I decided to focus the layout on a photo of this year's first day of school. The layout has several sketched circles.  I decided to break out the sewing machine and sew a few black circles using a variety of stitches.   The Scraptember challenge combined with this sketch was layering. So I grabbed the Simple Stories Smarty Pants collection and layered up a bunch of the branding strips and the patterned papers found on the journaling cards. I used the letter stickers from the collection to create the title.  I also used some of the stickers to embellish the title and photo, and also to create an embellishment cluster in the upper right corner of the layout.  To finish off the layout, I splattered it with black ink. I love the 30 Days of Sketches because it is a great way to use up older collections and challenges me to utilize techniques that I don't often use in my layouts. First Da